Introduction to the Pre-Shenendehowa Schools Collection
This collection of documents has been gathered over the years from many sources, but two are most immediate: the Shenendehowa Central School District and the Town of Halfmoon. Arrangement and description of the records was made possible by a grant from the New York State Archives and Records Administration, SARA.
In 1950, Central District No. 2, of the Towns of Clifton Park, Halfmoon, Malta, Waterford, Ballston and Stillwater, later to be known as Shenendehowa Central School District, was formed. Twenty-two independent districts went into its making, eleven from Clifton Park, eight from Halfmoon, and three from Malta, including Round Lake. It is the records of those independent districts that form the heart of this collection.
The driving force behind the centralization, Rodney Olin Winans, was, from 1929-1961, Superintendent of the Third Supervisory District of Saratoga County (known as the First Supervisory District until 1939). The records of Superintendent Winans form the second largest set of documents in this collection.